The ‘Ischuos’ Power of God!
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
— Ephesians 6:10
In yesterday’s Sparkling Gem, we began looking at the kinds of power that God has made available to every believer. As noted yesterday, He has provided two kinds of power for every Christian. The first is kratos power, which is a demonstrative, eruptive, manifested power. But today we will look at a second word in Ephesians 6:10 that describes a second kind of power made available to the believer.
In Ephesians 6:10, Paul says, “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.” The word “might” is taken from the word ischuos, and it conveys the picture of a very, very strong man, such as a bodybuilder or a mighty man with great muscular capabilities. Now Paul applies this picture of a strong, muscular man, not to himself, but to God. Paul pictures God as One who is able, mighty, and muscular.
Let me ask you — is there anyone more powerful than God? Is there any force in the universe equal to the muscular ability of God? Consider this:
- With one stroke of the hand, God’s mighty arm released so much creative power that the entire universe was flung into being.
- With one stroke of the hand, God’s mighty arm discharged such incredible force that the civilized world of Noah’s day was flooded and an entire period of civilization was wiped out.
- With one stroke of God’s mighty arm, Egypt’s rebellion against Him was crushed beyond recognition, and the children of Israel were set free.
- With one stroke of God’s mighty arm, the wicked powers of the heavenlies were forcibly shoved aside, and although it was physically and medically impossible, Jesus was conceived and miraculously born from a virgin’s womb.
- With one stroke of God’s mighty arm, His power surged into the throes of hell itself, where it ripped Jesus out of the pangs of death, stripped demonic principalities and powers naked, and made a public display of their embarrassing defeat.
- When the mighty arm of God moved on the day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit came as a “rushing mighty wind” and filled the Upper Room with His awesome power, supernaturally enabling the disciples to preach the Word with signs and wonders following.
Where is this powerful, mighty ability of God working today? In you and me! Paul says, “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.”
Remember, the word kratos is the demonstrated, outwardly manifested, eruptive power of God, which now operates in every believer. But the ischuos we have looked at today is the force that works behind the kratos power! Why is kratos power so strong and demonstrative (as in the resurrection of Jesus from the dead)? Because God’s muscles (ischuos) are backing it up!
These words in Ephesians 6:10 are so powerful that they convey this idea:
“Be strong in the Lord and in the powerful, outwardly demonstrated ability that works in you as a result of God’s great muscular ability that is working behind the scenes.”
All that God is, all the power He possesses, and all the energy of His muscular, mighty ability now energizes the kratos power that is at work within you. With this power at your disposal today, you can confront the unseen demonic spirits that come to wage war against your flesh and your soul — and you can win every time! Since this power is available to you today, you are ready to lay hands on the sick, pray with power and authority, speak the word of faith in every situation, and see mountains move on your behalf!
So the next time you run into a problem that seems a little overwhelming, remind yourself that “…greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world” (1 John 4:4). You have no need to be afraid and no need to shrink back in timidity, for there’s enough power at work in you to resist any force that comes against you and to supernaturally remedy anything that needs to be changed!
My Prayer for Today
Lord, I am so thankful that Your muscles are the backup for the power that operates in my life! Just as Your mighty arm created the universe, divided the Red Sea, destroyed the Egyptians, ripped Jesus from the throes of hell, and raised Him from the dead, I know that now this mighty power also works in me. Help me learn how to flow with this power and allow it to be released through my life so I can be a bigger blessing to people who are around me.
I pray this in Jesus’ name!
My Confession for Today
I boldly confess that all that God is, all the power He possesses, and all the energy of His muscular, mighty ability now energizes me! With this power at my disposal, I confront every spirit that comes to wage war against me. I lay hands on the sick and see them recover; I pray with power and authority; I speak the word of faith to every situation I face. Therefore, mountains move on my behalf! Greater is He who is in me than he that is in the world. I have no need to be afraid, and I don’t shrink back in timidity, because there’s enough power at work in me to resist any force that comes against me and to supernaturally remedy anything that is out of God’s order in my life!
I declare this by faith in Jesus’ name!
Questions to Answer
1. Can you name a time in your life when you suddenly felt so energized and quickened by the Spirit of God that it was as if a river of power flowed through you to help you get something important accomplished? When did that happen, and what triggered the release of that power?
2. Do you deliberately pray for God’s power to operate in your life? If so, do you expect your prayer to be answered? If you don’t pray for God’s power to be operative in your life, why not?
3. Why don’t you take a few minutes to remember the miracles you have personally witnessed in your life?